This is my handsome Grandpa. Albert John Ewald. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor on this day, 70 years ago. He saw things that I can never imagine seeing. He saw his best friends die. He lived through this tragedy, and while it was a part of who he was for the rest of his life, it never defined who he was. He was resilient. I've learned a lot from my Grandpa. This is just one of those lessons.
“Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan… No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people will through their righteous might win through to absolute victory… With confidence in our armed forces-with the unbounded determination of our people-we will gain the inevitable triumph-so help us God. I, therefore, ask that the Congress declare that since the dastardly and unprovoked attack by Japan on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.”
-President Franklin D. Roosevelt on Dec. 8, 1941
Tragedy is a part of all our lives. It is what we do with that tragedy that defines us. My Grandfather is an example of this. I want to be an example of this. I love you Grandpa!
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
December 7, 1941
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















No comments:
Post a Comment